“The education of even a very small child does not aim at preparing them for school, but for life.” – Maria Montessori
We know that early childhood is the most important phase for overall development throughout a person’s lifetime. Therefore, choosing the right program for your young toddler is a very important decision. At Milestone Montessori, our toddler program is designed for children between the ages of 18 months to 2.5 years. This is a period of tremendous development and growth. It is a time where each impression from the physical environment molds their emotional and intellectual development. Children of this age are like a sponge, absorbing stunning amounts of knowledge from their environment, rapidly and effortlessly. Dr. Montessori identified this fertile period of cognitive development, and recognized the need for a rich and well-prepared environment just for toddlers. Toddler teachers, who all hold RECE and/or Montessori diplomas, help guide students’ self-discovery during this wondrous yet sensitive stage of development, and we maintain a 5:1 teacher to student ratio. To meet the needs of each Toddler, written and verbal communication is made with parents and caregivers on a daily basis.
Our rich curriculum for toddlers is especially designed to
- foster cognitive development and speech and language development
- develop and strengthen fine and gross motor skills
- teach practical life skills and foster independence
- instill confidence, kindness, and grace and courtesy
- allow children to learn by doing, using all their senses to explore the world
- help joyfully instill social skills and cooperation
What makes our Toddler Community so unique?
- A dedicated team of loving and nurturing teachers trained in early childhood development and Montessori education.
- Spacious, well designed areas where toddlers are free to explore their indoor and outdoor environments with all their senses.
- A classroom where everything is toddler-sized. Attractive learning materials are displayed on low shelves within easy reach for toddlers.
- Toddlers learn language from stimulating materials and activities and learn to articulate their wants, needs, likes and dislikes. All this results in a child who is able to express himself confidently, which results in less frustration and an all-around happier child.
- Self-esteem and feelings of competence develop naturally as the toddlers successfully engage in fun and meaningful activities.
- Toddlers gain an awareness of other children and learn to feel secure in the relaxed atmosphere of our school.
- They take pride in sorting, stacking and counting; matching and sequencing; scooping and pouring; cleaning and sweeping.
- Toddlers spend time outdoors every day (weather permitting); exercise is a regular part of each day.
- Toddlers are free to choose their ‘work’, and that work becomes a cherished activity.
- Our toddlers explore and engage in activities in the areas of Practical Life, Sensorial, Math, Language, French, Music, Physical Education, Dance, Art. Toddlers are well prepared for Milestone Montessori Casa Program, the next milestone in their Montessori education.